BASARA FanWorks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOR & BY THE FANS

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nexu101
Matsunaga Faction
Matsunaga Faction
Nexu101

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Empty
PostSubject: Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden   Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Icon_minitime2018-03-25, 1:14 am

I've posted about this before on my tumblr, but I wanted to share this here!

In the anime, Sasuke says that Matsunaga spends his time “cooped up in his hermitage, diligently collecting antiques.” This is what his hermitage looks like on the inside:

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Hermit12

When Matsunaga steps outside of the hermitage, we see this:

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Hermit10

It's a rock garden! The conical feature in the center is called a kogetsudai which means "moon viewing platform." It reflects moonlight very well! Others think it's a Zen representation of Mt. Fuji. In any case, I thought it was an interesting design, and a cursory online search led me to this image:

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Ginkak10

This is a photo of Ginkaku-ji in Kyoto! Ginkaku-ji is seen as the eptiome of Higashiyama culture (which, fun fact, was focused on Zen Buddhism aesthetics and the traditional tea ceremony). It actually aligns pretty well with the following screenshot, which shows what Matsunaga's hermitage looks like from the outside:

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Hermit11

It's neat to think that the design of Matsunaga's hermitage was possibly inspired by a real temple!
Back to top Go down
Tikibuns
Date Faction
Date Faction
Tikibuns

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Empty
PostSubject: Re: Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden   Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden Icon_minitime2018-03-25, 1:49 am

Dude, Nexu, this is an awesome find. It makes me want to go back and look at some of the anime scenery on my own time.

Hisahide probably has some interesting opinions on Zen stuff. Razz
Back to top Go down

Matsunaga Hisahide - Hermitage and Rock Garden
Page 1 of 1